Military men shot dead in Karachi. Two military men were shot dead when unidentified assailants fired at their vehicle in the city’s Saddar area on Tuesday, officials said.
The personnel were rushed to Jinnah Hospital in injured condition where both succumbed to bullet wounds.
Military men shot dead in Karachi:
JPMC Emergency Head Dr Seemin Jamali said that one of the men was brought dead while the other succumbed to injuries during treatment.
The victims have been identified as Lance Naik Razzaq and Sepoy Khadim Hussain.
The military vehicle was fired upon by unidentified gunmen, riding a motorcycle, who immediately fled the scene, which is near the Parking Plaza on New MA Jinnah Road.
“We will try to find out the linkage between this incident and the last case [the attack on MP vehicle], however, there were no specific threats,” said Additional Inspector General Mushtaq Meher while visiting the site of the attack.
Security officials have cordoned off the area while forensic officials have reached the spot to collect evidence that will aid the investigation.
Military men shot dead Sepoy Khadim Hussain and Lance Naik Razzaq in Karachi.
MA Jinnah road is a major artery of the metropolis and is usually congested during the day.
Police officials said that 9mm pistol was used in the attack and they are investigating to find out whether this weapon was used in any previous attack or not.
In December last year, two Military Police officials were killed after their vehicle was fired upon by unidentified gunmen near Tibet Centre on MA Jinnah road.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the incident and instructed the intelligence and security agencies to go to any length to apprehend the perpetrators of the attack.
Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah also took notice of the attack, ordering an immediate investigation.
An ‘operation’ against criminal elements in the country’s commercial hub was initiated back in September 2013 after the federal cabinet empowered Rangers to lead a targeted advance with the support of police against criminals already identified by federal military and civilian agencies for their alleged involvement in targeted killings, kidnappings for ransom, extortion and terrorism in Karachi.
A high-level apex committee meeting chaired by the Chief of Army Staff Gen Raheel Sharif on May 14, 2015 decided to implement effective policing and surveillance in the “vast suburbs of Karachi”, to prevent what the military spokesperson said were “sneaking terrorist attacks”.
Amid resentment and criticism from certain political circles over the ‘Karachi operation’, the military establishment in August said that there would be no let-up in actions by law enforcement agencies “to ensure a peaceful and terror-free Karachi”.